Can mold growth be removed and cleaned up in a two-story apartment building successfully?

1

You need continuous moisture for an extended period (like months) to grow black mold (the toxic kind). Plus, black mold typically doesn't grow on windowsills--it's usually found in places near leaking sinks or showers, for example. So you're probably not dealing with the really nasty stuff, that's the good news.

What you're most likely seeing is ordinary mold growing on dust, dander, dirt, mold, skin cells, and the like that have landed on the windowsills/edges. Mold doesn't feed on aluminum...but it does feed on debris from particulate in the air that lands on the sills. You tend to get mold problems right around the windows because of condensation from warm damp air being exposed to cooler temperatures on the window surface/sills.

First, you want to remove the existing mold from the surface. Ordinary household dish soap (mixed with water, preferably foamy) is adequate for this purpose. As a secondary effect, cleaning with soap will also help remove the debris that...

0 0
2

Background and The Problem

I am trying to solve the problem of mold growing on my bedroom ceiling. The house is a California Bulgalow built in about 1940. The house is single-brick with plaster interior walls. It is single story and with a roof cavity serveral meters high at the peak. There is insulation above the ceiling but not in the walls.

The floor of the house is about 1 foot above ground level. It's built in a low-lying area. There is no basement. There are vents every 2 or 3 meters around the perimeter. I checked and none of these are blocked.

There is an ensuite adjacent to the problem room. It has a exhaust fan that vents into the roof cavity. Two whirly-vents have been installed.

There is a reverse cycle air-conditioner, but this does not run often as it's programmed to heat at 16C (61F) and cool at 28C (82F). Summer was unusually wet.

Attempts So Far

So far I have attempted to remove the mold by scrubbing with beach, and when it...

0 0
3

Mixing bleach with acid (even vinegar) will release chlorine gas, which is poisonous (and you will know because it hurts like death to breath chlorine). Mixing a cup of vinegar (5% acetic acid) with a cup of houshold bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite) will not react violently, but it will still release enough chlorine gas that you will know it's true. The real danger is in the amounts and/or concentrations mixed. A bucketful of bleach and vinegar could be deadly. Or concentrated bleach and acetic acid (or other acid) could react much more quickly. Muriatic acid and bleach will react violently.

If you have wiped the vinegar off of the wall, it will be fine. If you are unreasonably serious about not mixing bleach and vinegar, use your nose. Vinegar has a pungent odor. If the odor of vinegar has dissipated (probably within hours), there should not be any significant amount of acid left. Alternatively, if you are industrious and still uncertain you could wipe the walls with a 5%...

0 0
4
Here are 25 recommended steps for effective basement mold cleaning and treatment, mold maintenance, mold killing of all types of mold and high counts of indoor mold, mold removal, mold remediation of mold damage, mold mitigation, and mold abatement to get rid of toxic mold, black mold, slime mold (Stachybotrys), and all other mold contamination and infestation caused by roof leaks, siding leaks, plumbing leaks, high indoor humidity, flooding, hurricanes, typhoons, tropical cyclones, tornadoes, storms, fire and other water damage problems, and removing mold in basement, attics and inside walls, ceilings, and heating/cooling equipment and ducts.
Just four words neatly summarize what has to be done in effective and safe basement mold removal, mold remediation, mold mitigation, and mold abatement: CONTAIN, KILL, REMOVE, and PROTECT.

(1) CONTAIN the basement mold from spreading into uncontaminated areas;

(2) KILL the mold;

(3) REMOVE the dead mold; and

(4)...

0 0
5

Moldy is fine in my hockey bag, but not in my apartment. What do I do?

A radiator in my apartment leaked steam unchecked for a while when my roommates and I were all home for winter break. When we came back, we found that the room had mold growing on 3 out of the 4 walls. None of us have ever had to deal with anything like this before!

We've already called and complained to the management of our building, but what exactly should we be asking them for? The management has a reputation for cutting corners when it comes to repairs if you don't dictate to the letter what they need to do. Should we try to force the management to give us some sort of timeline as to how all this will be fixed?

Is there also anything we can do right now to slow down the mold growth? We don't have any control over our heat but will just exposing the room to cold winter Chicago air help it from spreading as much?

Thanks in advance for helping 4 clueless college...

0 0
6
...
0 0