How and what do I use to fill a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap between my shower drain pipe and the flange cover plate


Welcome to

How do I read a ruler?

A ruler used to be called a rule, and rulers would be rules. Today, the more commonly found term is ruler. The dictionary defines both the term rule and ruler, so either can be used, and for this document I will only use the term ruler.

Metric Rulers
Metric rulers are fairly easy to read. They deal with centimeters and millimeters only. You wont have to worry much about fractions.

Take a look at the following Metric Ruler.

The larger lines with numbers are centimeters, and the smallest lines are millimeters. Since millimeters are 1/10th of a centimeter, if you measure 7 marks after a centimeter, it is 1.7 centimeters long.

English Rulers
English rulers, are much more difficult to read. Mostly because they deal with fractions, which are a bit more dificult to learn.

Take a look at the following English Rulers.

A ruler marked in 8ths....

0 0

You have a 3/4" gap and a 1 1/2" gap, and clearly the larger gap is too wide to be covered by a baseboard alone.

What I might try to do is see if you can get a standard baseboard against the wall which will give you about 3/4", then I would put quarter round right after that against the baseboard.

The 1.5" gap will be hidden, but you might need to cut a 3/4" wide strip of wood so the quarter round has something to sit on. It should be roughly the same height of the tile so the edge of the quarter round will be just covering the edge of the tile. If there any more gaps at this point I would probably get some white paintable caulk and go around the base of the quarter round.

I like this approach because I think a little quarter round around the baseboards of your room can be quite aesthetically pleasing and make a simple boring looking baseboard look even...

0 0